Sunday 1 February 2009

Vintage Virgin

I have always been intrigued by vintage clothes. So many times I see a photo and think "Wow that's a gorgeous jumper/dress/bag, I wonder where it's from?",and it turns out to be vintage. I also love the idea that vintage clothes are one of a kind and can really make an outfit look unique. However, I am a little bit wary of buying anything vintage except scarves and bags. Part of the reason is that I am unsure of the best places to buy vintage, and I also want to make sure I am buying quality pieces (without spending huge amounts of money!). When I have looked around popular vintage shops in London such as Rokit, all I seemed to find were cute flowery tea dresses, frumpy "old lady" dresses, and lots and lots of plaid shirts. All of which would be perfect for other people and look great on them, but are just not my style. I did come away from Rokit with a black denim skirt and a stripy scarf, but was nevertheless a bit disappointed that I hadn't found anything more. I think it's about time I get serious and overcome this fear of buying vintage clothes, so I have set myself a couple of challenges: Firstly, to buy something vintage from eBay. Secondly, I want to find something from a specific vintage shop, either online or in a "real" shop. The third challenge is to check out some of the various vintage markets in London and try and find something there. I'm sure that all of this is all old hat for a lot of people who regularly scour the markets, but I still need to work up to it! I'll let you know how I get on...

No comments:

Post a Comment